Friday, October 13, 2006

Blogging Blues

iPod morning commute music: Lindsey Buckingham, Under the Skin (2006)

Lindsey Buckingham was the guitarist for Fleetwood Mac during their heyday in the late '70s early '80s. He is also a topnotch singer/songwriter. However, he hasn't put out much music as a solo artist, only 4 albums in 25 years, and this is only his second album since leaving the band (the first, 1992's Out of the Cradle, is excellent, though not many people seem to know about it).

Under the Skin is mainly acoustic. Buckingham plays almost all the tracks himself. He uses a lot of echo effects on his vocals, which my daughter finds distracting. Myself, it is an album I love. His original material is great, but so are his covers, especially his version of the Stones' I am Waiting, off of Aftermath. The guitar work seems almost classical; certainly this isn't your typical rock album. Highly recommended.

A couple of days ago I wrote a long blog expanding on the trip to Hokkaido I took. For some reason, it wouldn't publish, and I actually lost the damn thing. It is very frustrating to lose writing (Microsoft, are you listening? Word crashes WAY too often, and almost always during those rare moments when I forget to say every two minutes!).

So here is my short little entry for today. With luck, it will publish.

No comments: