Friday, April 21, 2006

Felt Better

iPod morning commute music: Passion is No Ordinary Word: The Graham Parker Anthology 1976-1991, disc 2 (1993)

Graham Parker and the Rumor first blew me away with 1979's Squeezing Out Sparks. Parker always struck me as a mix between Bruce Springsteen and Elvis Costello. His songwriting skills are excellent, matching rocking melodies with biting lyrics. But that was all I bought back then, and it wasn't until this double-disc anthology came out that I gave him his due listen. It's really good stuff, particularly disc 1, his older stuff. However, disc 2 holds its own. Intellegent music.

I've been suffering from a cold since Tuesday. I hate colds. Tomorrow (Saturday) I'm taking a half-day holiday and will stay home, sleep, maybe go see a doctor if I don't feel better.

Am reading Alex Kerr's Demons and Dogs, The Fall of Modern Japan. It's depressing stuff about just how horrible Japan is politically, economically, and environmentally. Yet it is easy to live here. There's a contradiction somewhere.

Have to teach. Have a good weekend.

No comments: