Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Getting Better all the Time

iPod morning commute music: Miles Davis, Bitches Brew, disc 1 (1970)

More jazz, but sort of wasted on me this morning. I slept pretty much the whole way into work. A very important album, but...I still prefer yesterday's Blue Train.

Yesterday's headache came under control about 2:30, so I was feeling fine as I made my way with a group of teachers to my school's welcome party for new teachers, held in the Osaka Hilton. Seating is always by the luck of the draw, so people don't just sit with their friends. I got lucky and was at a table with a number of English speakers. The food was also good, with grilled salmon and beef tenderloin making up the two main dishes. Beer and wine flowed freely all evening. Then, I actually was a winner at Bingo, and received an electric takoyaki cooker. Takoyaki is hard to explain, but basically it's a ball of cooked dough with a small piece of octopus in the middle. Sweet sauce is on the top, and it's a favorite snack food in Osaka. I got home and showed Kaoru; she thought it was funny. I asked her if she knew how to make takoyaki, and she said, "Of course!" In 19 years of marriage she's never made it, but I guess if you're a woman from Osaka, the skill is genetic.

The new Springsteen album is out in the States today, We Shall Overcome: The Seeger Sessions. Reviews have been very good. It sounds like a fun album. I may look for it today on my way home.

2 comments:

craiginjapan said...

Hi Ron-

Is the hamburger cooked before going in, or does it cook with the takoyaki? It does sound interesting.

Craig

Anonymous said...

Bitches Brew I always found hard going. There was a lot of criticism of it in the music press at its time of release, vehement fans saying too much wah wah in Miles etc. Apparently the singer in Radiohead cites it as one of his favourites. Should give it another listen after twenty five years or so. Stand by Sly and the Family Stone and Theres a Riot going on released as a cheap twofer. Both outstanding. Glad the meal went well Craig and you got a good seat.