Thursday, September 28, 2006

Hokkaido on the Horizon

iPod morning commute music: Pat Metheny, Bright Size Life (1975)

I was surprised to find this on my iPod, but surprises are what you get when you let your 18 year old son program it for you. This is Pat Metheny's debut album, and it is excellent jazz, with Metheny on guitar and Jaco Pastorius on bass. I believe that I saw Metheny live at my first college back in the mid-seventies, but I really hadn't paid much attention to him. Obviously, that was a mistake!

The adjustment to the new language labs is getting better, but just when 1 thing begins to mellow around here, something else comes along to get you back on edge. Next Tuesday I have to go to Hokkaido, the northern island of Japan, with our senior high two (juniors) students for 3 nights and 4 days. These short trips are really busy, and it isn't that fun to be with students (or responsible for students) all the time. That said, I usually have an okay time once I'm actually there, but it's still not something I look forward to.

My son got his Washington State Driver's License yesterday, so the primary goals of his gap year (job and license) have been reached. Next up is to finish the university application process and find out if they really will grant him state residency.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like its LL Hell as per usual Craig, love the things when they work but when they dont....
Hopefully the bugs will be sorted out sooner rather than later.

Glad the trip went well and that Tatsu is more or less settled and had driving and working secured, good for you and him.

Fridays here and cant wait to breathe out over the weekend, very envious of your new screen and video conferencing set up. A whole new world as that beautiful Alladin song went. Actually it wasnt that beautiful. Actually it was mindnumbingly irritating after a while and I wish i could erase it forever from my conciousness and now I cant. Damn.

Reading Kurt Voneguts Breakfast of Champions, probably the best book ever written. Probably. Kilgore Trout rules!