Friday, February 10, 2006

Grammys

iPod morning commute music: U2, How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb (2004)
When I read that U2 had dominated the Grammys, I decided to listen again to the CD that won it all. It's good music, but I don't think it's their best. Vertigo is a great song. Anyway, good music, but I was hoping McCartney would win for Chaos and Creation in the Backyard.

I was surprised to read that American Idol won the ratings war over the Grammys. I guess since I can't see them live, I imagine most people who could, would. The reality shows I've seen have all been pretty horrible in my opinion. Granted, I'm pretty conservative in my viewing habits (CNN, sports, movies, a couple of TV shows such as Lost, West Wing, Six Feet Under), but I miss the Grammys and the Oscars. For a while the Oscars were on sort of live in Japan, but they were constantly being interrupted by Japanese 'talents'; pretty awful stuff (particularly the transvestite, but let's not go there...).

Our high school entrance exam is underway, and I need to start psyching myself up for marking (the candidates are sitting for the English test now). The marking takes 8-10 hours, brain-numbing work. Each teacher is responsible for a section, and you just mark that section over and over and over. Then you have to check it again to make sure no mistakes were made. We'll work over 2 days, with a long staff meeting to decided which candidates will be invited to join our school. As I mentioned when discussing the junior high entrance exam, many of the students are taking our test as a back-up, in case they can't enter the public school of their choice, so the trick in selecting is to invite the right number of students, expecting many won't come.

Enough for now. I need to get ready to mark.

No comments: