Saturday, July 22, 2006

In Transit, In Korea

iPod morning commute music: Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, Dirt Silver and Gold, disc 2 (1976)

Not really, but it WAS the last thing I listened to. I owned the original release, a 3-record set, the bulk of it a greatest hits, with 10 new songs. I discovered this new release (2003, on [I think] BGO, a British label) in Tower, in the country section, and had enough points on my point card to get it for free. I was surprised to see it in country, but that really is the best genre for the music, all of which is excellent. 37 songs total, I think, give a very good representation of the band's talent. It lived up to my memory, and it pleases me that I had the sense to buy it way back when.

I'm in Korea's seriously beautiful and new Seoul/Incheon International Airport. So far the flight home is going well. The limo bus took only an hour from the closest pick up point to my house. I don't think I've forgotten anything, I got the house shuttered down, powered off (except for the scheduled recording of Lost (season 2 in Japan). Flying Korean Air seems like a great idea so far. The service was great on the short flight from Osaka, with five flight attendants (yes, young, attractive pleasant women, and yes, in economy) bending over backwards to get the snacks out and the beers served. The connecting flight's gate was only a 5 minute walk from the arrival gate. One piece of advice: Get out of the duty free area, which is crowded and expensive (there's a Internet lounge where you have to buy a prepaid card to log on) and go up to the level denoted as Transit Hotel and Airport Lounges, where the Internet's free and the restaurants empty. They even have showers, which I may take advantage of on the return flight.

It has been a crazy week. The last day at work (Thursday) was just jammed with cleaning and packing up the LL's for the move to the new school. I got there at 7:50 am and finally left after 4 pm. Yesterday was spent cleaning the house and packing up. Today it was up at 6 am and out of the house by 8:20. It's just about 5 now. My flight leaves at 6:20, and then it's 10 hours till home. I can't wait.

Finally, it looks like the Seattle flight has individual entertainment systems for ALL the passengers (at least, Korean Air was advertising it on the flight from KIX). That would be nice, if true.

OK, time to let others get on line.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

thanks for the Seoul tip Craig. Ive heard only good things about that airport. I hope the rest of the flight is as good as the jump to Korea. Still pouring with rain here, Im doing my grades today, yesterday was a makeup day at Kyoto Gaidai, always popular with students and teachers. Imagine, a makeup day for a public holiday, thought the point of a public holiday was... ah what's the use?

Haven't seen any of the new season of Lost. Loved the first season, even if as someone said they are probably making it up as they go along. Saw a series called House about a renegade (aren't they all in TV land?) doctor. Brit guy Hugh Lawrie who was the Dad in Stupid Little but don't let that put you off. Good series, very clever.

I'm in at work today putting the final touches to my grades, playing God with the scores, in my hands rest the fate of future diplomats, politicians, gangsters, bandits, celebs... and let's be honest mostly poor sods who will be sucked up into the system and battered to death by some chump at a slightly higher level in the office. Hope the trip goes swimmingly.