Saturday, July 08, 2006

Alone again, naturally

iPod morning commute music: N/A.
Saturday drive to JUSCO for a bottle of red for tonight music: Ray Davies, Other People's Lives (2006)

I've always loved the Kinks (perhaps my first iPod morning commute music entry), saw them a couple of times in the '70s, and this solo effort by Ray Davies (main songwriter, singer and rhythm guitarist for the band) is a welcomed addition to my collection. It's wonderful to hear someone who hasn't lost his wit or his eye for observation. He makes you both tap your foot and smile. Not many artists can do that.

My friend Gib just started his own blog, and wrote to let me know AND remind me that I haven't posted for over a week. What can I say? Monday was the start of first term final exams, so I was proctoring tests and trying to finish writing my senior high one (sophomores, for those of us in the U.S.) test. Tuesday was dedicated to getting the family to the airport and on the plane to Seattle via San Francisco (I took the day off work). Wednesday was spent proctoring and finishing the test, getting the listening sections recorded. Thursday I had my English for Academic Purposes exam, and had to mark my senior high three (yes, seniors for all you bright Americans out there) tests. I also went out with for dinner with the sales rep (and friend) from one of the major textbook publishers. Friday was more proctoring, my SH1 test, and getting paperwork done. And going out for dinner at a new Portuguese restaurant with my travel agent (and friend), an ex-co-worker (and friend) and the owner of the main foreigner bar in Umeda.

Today was laundry and dishwasher day. I'm finally sitting back with a beer.

I did get very good news late Thursday night: my son's IB scores were posted, and he did exceptionally well. When he goes to university in 2007, I'm sure they will waive enough courses to basically allow him to enter as a sophomore (second year student to all of you NOT from the U.S. I talked to everyone in the States today, and we are all so proud of Tatsu's achievement.

Time to bring in the laundry and start marking tests.

No comments: