Wednesday, December 13, 2006

The Too Busy to Blog Blogger's Blues (try saying that 3 times fast)

iPod morning commute music: The Allman Brothers, Eat a Peach (1972)

What can I say? I graduated from high school in 1972, and the Allman Brothers Band was the hottest group in America. Duane Allman died in 1971, and this album was sort of a tribute to him, and his great guitar work. It is excellent all the way through.

One thing I learned from one of the many British music mags my friend Ian passed onto me was that it was Duane who came up with the killer riff for Derek and the Dominoes classic Layla (he played on the album as a guest). I also highly recommend the Allman Brothers classic 1971 release At Fillmore East [live], expanded in 1992 and issued as The Fillmore Concerts [live].

OK, I've gotten more than a little grief over the fact that I haven't been the best of bloggers of late. Thank you all for checking in on me. Basically, final exam season hit, and hit hard, bringing (almost) to an end one of the busiest terms I'm had since my rookie year here at the school. The seniors have all finished up (no classes third term), so I lose (in the best sense of the word) 6 of my 17 classes next term. That should free me up a little, and allow me to be a more consistent blogger.

I'll be leaving in 8 days for my 2-week visit to the States from Christmas with my parents and son. I hope the trip goes well. My mother's health has not been so good, mainly vision problems, so I think it's important that I get back for the visit. It is hard leaving my wife and daughter during the holidays, but they will be able to celebrate Japanese New Year (the most important of Japanese holidays) with my wife's family.

So a crazy term is coming to a relatively calm end. We put the Christmas tree last Sunday, so things are looking Christmasy in the home. I just hope the holidays turn out to be just that...holidays.

More later.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice to see you blogging again Craig. Like you I share the passion for the Allman Bros. I was lucky enough to see them around 1974 as a fresh faced 19 year old, poor Duane I believe had just checked out but Holy Crap did they cook! I was always intrigued by the title on the Live at the Fillmore In Memory of Elizabeth Reed, finding it a rather out of context and elegiac title for what I thought (then) of as a mere Southern Boogie Band. Of course the Allmans were anything but a mere Southern Boogie Band having the twin assault of Dickey Betts and old 'Skydog' himself on slide guitar for a starter. Eat a Peach continued to grow in stature as well as Brothers and Sisters not least for having a track featured as the title music on the BBC's Top Gear program for frustrated boy racers the fabulous Jessica.
I hope the spirit of Crimbo presides stateside Craig and you have a jolly good time of it all, heres to all them Southern Boogie Bands, long may their sounds prevail.