Saturday, January 06, 2007

Home From the Holidays and a New Years Resolution

iPod morning commute music: N/A

Flew back to Japan yesterday, and got home about 9:00 p.m. I had a good holiday, but it was also good to get back to the States. My goal for the visit was to ensure that my parents and son had the best Christmas and New Years possible, and I think I helped.

It was good to see how my son has adjusted to life in the States, and on Vashon Island in particular. He's well-liked at work, has made friends (including several with whom he can play music), and is continueing his art. Now we just need to clear up the residency questions before he starts school in the fall.

It is hard to watch my parents age. My mother has lost a lot of her vision, and tests have confirmed that, in the past, she has suffered one or more small strokes which affected her vision. I was able to go with my parents for my mother's doctor appointment, and got a much better picture of what's going on. My father's showing his age as well, slowing way down. My brother and I had a good chance to visit and talk about them, and what could be in store in the future. As always, I feel bad that the burden falls unfairly on his shoulders.

I was able to do some cooking for everyone, but I had to be careful not to try to dictate to my parents what to eat: they actually LIKE eating cereal for breakfast and dinner! Still, I managed, in part, a big batch of chilli, a turkey for Christmas day, a ham for the extended family's Christmas party, and spaghetti and meatballs from scratch. I also baked a pecan pie.

I also got to attend a couple of Sonics basketball games curtesy of my friends Nan and Will (one of which was on New Years Eve with my son). They won both games, and maybe were the only games they won while I was there! I also saw a lot of televised games, especially the Fiesta Bowl, probably the most exciting football game I've ever watched.

I also had some quality (drinking and visiting) time with my friend Craig B. I'm lucky to have such a long-time buddy living so near on Island. The fact that he looks in on both my parents and my son means so much to me.

But now it's back to work. Today I had to be in for a meeting at 10, and then found out we have a major student problem in my year group, so it looks like I'll be here until late this afternoon or early evening. Not the best news considering the jet lag, but what the hell! You play, you pay, and I have no real problem with that. I'll slog my way through the day, and will have tomorrow (Sunday) and Monday off. Life shifts back into low gear on Tuesday, and high gear (actual classes!) on Friday.

Finally, that resolution: I resolve to blog at least 3 times per week in 2007.

Happy New Years, everybody!

No comments: