Friday, January 12, 2007

Old Friends

iPod evening commute music: The Beatles, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (1967)

One of my Christmas gifts from my brother was Rolling Stone's 500 Greatest Albums of All Time (or something like that). #1 was Sgt. Pepper's, and no true rock fan can deny that it is a great album. It was the first Beatles' album that I bought with my own money (a paper route). It is not my favorite album by the band: I think I listen to Rubber Soul and Revolver more often. However, the importance of the album lies in the direction it moved music, the multi-tracking, the psychedelia, the idea of a group recording without performing live. Rock became art.

Last Monday, I searched around and found the phone number of one of my old college roomates, a great friend, and the person who recruited me to Japan all those years ago. Eric and I have been out of touch for several years, and he wrote to one of our mutual friends in Japan asking about me and asking him to pass on his current address to me. Hence, my phone call.

Eric and I have one of those friendships that are like a pair of really comfortable, well-worn slippers that always feel good when you slip them on. Though much of our conversation was catch-up, none of it sounded as though we hadn't talked for years, but rather that we had just talked last week. I know it is not an original thought, but I've always felt that to be a test of true friendship: Easy conversation after long absences.

It was a great conversation, and I know we'll work hard to ensure the absences are fewer, and shorter in length.

No comments: