Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Residency

iPod morning commute music: The Red Hot Chili Peppers, Stadium Arcadium (disc 1); 2006

This is new music for me. I confess to not really having paid attention to this band, but from what I've heard, I like this double CD. Rolling Stone put it at #2 on their top 50 albums of 2006, after Dylan's Modern Times, but allmusic.com pretty much pans it. This will require further study on my part.

The big news is that my son, Tatsu, was finally granted Washington State residency by The Evergreen State College (where I graduated from back in 1977). We've known since last summer that he would probably be granted residency since I had maintained my Washington State Drivers License and Voter Registration during all the years I've lived in Japan. This meant that I'm considered a Washington State resident, living temporarily abroad (a bit of a stretch, maybe, but thank God I maintained my ties to the state), and therefore my residency passes to my children. However, until yesterday Tatsu's residency status was still labeled "Disputed". No more.

Now he can move forward in his plans to enroll Fall term. Supposidly, the school will be waiving a lot of credits due to his IB Diploma (up to 45), and he's been granted an academic scholarship towards his first year tuition, so things are working out nicely. I'm just sorry we couldn't have resolved the residency problem in time for Fall 2006.

No comments: