Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Birthday Musings

iPod morning commute music: The Doors, Perception box set, 2006

It's been awhile since I've posted, so I'll just mention that I've been listening to this box set pretty much exclusively for the past week. Basically, it's all 6 of The Doors studio albums, remixed and including bonus tracks. Each album is accompanied by a DVD with a 5.1 Surround mix of the album, some video content, pictures, etc.

Thus far, I've only listened to the albums. I don't have a 5.1 Surround system in my home, but it's on my shopping list.

The Doors are probably the last of the great 60s bands which I needed to invest in. I've had their 2-disc greatest hits for years, and my brother sent me Morrison Hotel as a Christmas gift some time back. In a way, it was fortunate that I didn't have more of their music, as I would have never bought this terrific box set if I had...Perception is pretty costly.

I turned 53 last week, on the 24th, and feel pretty good about it. I have been reflecting on aging recently. I mentioned to my friend Dave a few weeks ago that I haven't gone down stairs two steps at a time for years. I think it started when I first got bifocals back in my early 40s: I found it hard to focus going down stairs, and slowed way down to avoid disaster. And then there were the two times I dislocated my shoulder running down wet stairs at my local train station, my feet slipping out from under me while I was holding on the the handrail trying to catch a departing train. I honestly can't remember if I was taking two stairs at a time then, but those accidents certainly put a damper on my desire to rush down stairs.
But the more I think about it, the more I realize I don't want to fear this. Maybe this is the same knee-jerk reaction to aging that causes me to want to drive a fast sports car, preferably a convertible. I think we believe that if we can still face danger, we can somehow remain younger. Once we cave in to fear, we cave in to aging.
So I've started practicing, slowly, taking two stairs at a time. It's cheaper than the car.

4 comments:

Nancy said...

Sounds so familiar--I did find that with the bifocals if you tuck your chin in, you don't look out of the reading part and it's easier to not get dizzy going down the stairs. I don't think I've ever gone down stairs two at a time, but maybe that's a guy thing. I do try to go up the stairs two at a time sometimes, but that's a gal thing--we think about the buns thing.

craiginjapan said...

Yes, the tuck-in-the-chin trick does help. I got over the dizziness problem quite quickly, but I lost some confidence in moving quickly. Also, at this stage in my life, I have less reason to move quickly (which was what going down the stairs two steps at a time was really all about). I'm at a pretty slow and steady stage right now. But I still want the sports car, and I really am practicing running down stairs! (Oh, and the guys really do appreciate you gals thinking about the buns thing.)

Anonymous said...

I haven't gone down stairs two at a time since I ruined my ankles playing handball in college. I do still go down mountains two mogels at a time though it isn't a pretty sight.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Craig, Ive been a bit tardy checking in on the Craig in Japan but fortunately it looks like you have been similarly tardy so all is good.

Re the Doors, I love the Doors and recently the music press have been a bit hard on them, Jimbo as a not so good poet, Lester Bangs even said the Doors were lousy musicians. Still other opinions eh? Morrison Hotel was a tour de force right from the opening Road House Blues and the great line 'woke up this morning and I got myself a beer' probably not what they sing at the AA meetings but for the rest of us we can share in the joie de vivre of the life that was Jims, except he probably should have joined in the 12 step program and his joie de vivre got the better of him and er...

well anyway, Waiting for the sun is a fantastic underrated record, and Apocalyse Now was all the better for Jimbo droning over the opening whilst Francis did his bit for global warming by setting fire to most of the phillipines.

Good to hear about your optimism in turning another year over Craig, our folks had probably booked into the retirement home at 53 but here we are listening to the Doors. Hail the Golden Age!