Sunday, February 11, 2007

Japanese Foundation Day

iPod morning commute music: N/A, but on our Costco commute, my wife and I listened to: Lindsey Buckingham, Out of the Cradle (1992), and on the way home his latest, Under the Skin (2006).

I thought it would be fun to compare these two CD's, considering the 14-year hiatus between them. I liked them both, but Kaoru felt his voice was stronger and clearer on Out of the Cradle. I thought this was simply because of the way he chose to record his voice on Under the Skin, which used a lot of echo (something my daughter pointed out the first time she heard the CD). I obviously recommend both of them.

When I first started working at my school 22 years ago, I asked one of the Japanese history teachers how old Japan was. Well, it turns out that he had no idea, or rather, that no one has any idea to the age of Japan. Unlike the States, which we know was founded in 1776, Japan just WAS. It would be as if asking the indigenous Native Americans how old their nation is. So today is Japanese Foundations Day, and we still have no idea how old Japan really is.

The last couple of days have been all about the Senior High Entrance Exam, and all I can say is thank God is over! Friday I arrived at 8:00 a.m. and didn't leave until 7:30 p.m.; Saturday it was 9:30 till 4:00. And we still have to wait to find out how many students actually sign up.

Today was centered around our mythical Trip to Costco, where we really had to buy such essential goods as coffee beans and Listerine. Such is my life. No wonder almost no one reads this blog!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Im always happy to read the blog Craig and Costco and Listerine cannot be beat. There are rumblings from the house of Abe that patriotism and sense of nation are on the return in Japan which can only end in tears. Bill Hicks the US comedian has some interesting things to say about flag waving and nation none of which can be included in a family blog like this one. Suffice to say flag waving is ok at sports events I guess but gets a bit out of hand elsewhere. Very zen like expression saying Japan just was, for a perspective of life the universe and everything I recommend Bill Brysons A Short History of Nearly Everything. After reading it things like flags and foundations days seem rather er meaningless. Love from millions of dead cells which somehow form me.

Anonymous said...

In fact we do know - or, the Japanese know - when the nation began. They even have a date for it. 660 BCE. In this year the mythical emperor Jimmu ascended to the throne, establishing the imperial line.