Thursday, February 01, 2007

Feelin' Alright

iPod morning commute music: Gene Pitney, Ultimate Anthology (1995)

1964 was probably the first year I really listened to rock 'n' roll (WABC out of NYC, with Cousin Brucie and Herb Oscar Anderson). I was 10 years old. The Beatles ruled, but Gene Pitney was also way cool with his hit It Hurts to be in Love.

It was sad when he died last April at the age of 66. I'd bought this CD several years before, and well I guess it isn't considered the best collection ("What? Not Ultimate???), it has served me fine. Pitney was graced with a tenor voice and the ability to hit over-the-top emotional peaks, comparable to his peer, Roy Orbison. His talent is missed.

I decided to self-medicate myself with aspirin today, and have felt fine since morning. What this means is not clear, but I will continue to take aspirin for at least tomorrow.

Today we found out our new year groups at school. I'm with the Senior High Two (juniors) year group again next year, which means I get to go on the school trip to Hokkaido again next fall. Joy! Joy!

Sorry for the short entry, but it's late and I'm sleepy. Hopefully I'll have more to say in my next post.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Twenty Four Hours from Tulsa was the one I remember from that time, a great example of how songs can make their own mood. Great horns on that track, great singer. Around that time was the sublime My Guy by Mary Wells, a great time for pop music, very classy.