Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Happy Martin Luther King Day (Monday in the States)

iPod morning commute music: The Jayhawks, Rainy Day Music (2003)
This is a band my friend Brad G., an ex-pat from the midwest, turned me on to. The band formed in the mid '80s in Minneapolis and perform what I guess would be called alt country. They remind me of the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band back in the late '60s early '70s, and also somewhat of Gram Parsons. Pretty cool stuff, but I still haven't heard most of what they've recorded.

Sorry for the delayed holiday greeting to those of you in the States. It's Tuesday here, and I've just now finally had the chance to get to the computer.

Am I right in writing that not every state celebrates MLK Day? We were talking about this over lunch (5 teachers, 2 Americans, 1 Canadian, an Australian and a New Zealander), and I was having a hard time explaining why this would be. I think most Americans recognize he was a great man, though not a saint. I know J. Edgar Hoover dug up (or manufactured) a lot of dirt on him, but why exactly is it that not everyone recognizes the holiday? Is it racist sentiment? If anyone would care to comment, I'd love to hear your opinions.

For some reason the Blogger spellchecker has stopped working on this school computer. It used to work. I hate publishing without running a spellcheck. Isn't it strange how, even as I near the age of 52, I'm still sensitive about the fact that I was a poor speller in my youth. You'd think I'd have gotten over it by now. Anyway, I apologize if an error shows up.

No comments: