Friday, December 16, 2005

Morning

iPod morning commute music: various artists, Nuggets, Vol. 2: Original Artyfacts from the British Empire and Beyond, disc 1 (2001)

Lenny Kaye, who later became the guitarist in the Patti Smith Group, compiled a single album worth of American '60s garage/psych rock classics in 1972, released as Nuggets. In 1998, he re-released this as disc 1 of a 4-disc box called Nuggets. I just had to have it. Every song sounded like something you'd heard somewhere before, though you probably hadn't. This second release is more of the same, only centered around British garage/psych. As the writer at allmusic.com says (BTW, this is a great music site and where I get the release dates for all of these posts), you would have to spend thousands of dollars to buy all of this obscure music from the original sources. If you like '60s rock, both boxes are worth owning, though I've heard Vol. 3 isn't so good.

When I first came to Japan, I remember walking into a coffee shop one morning, hung over and in need of caffeine. The waitress walked up I said, "Hot-o co-hee."

"Morning?" she replied in a questioning tone.

I thought, how nice, she's trying to speak English to me. "Morning," I said, as cheerfully as I could.

A few minutes later she returned with my coffee, a hard-boiled egg, and a thick slice of buttered toast. I had no idea what I'd done, but since my Japanese was next to useless, I decided to eat the unordered breakfast and pay the extra. I looked at the bill and was shocked to see that the whole thing cost less than a normal cup of coffee! This was my introduction to the Japanese institution known as "Morning Set".

If you visit Japan, this is about the cheapest breakfast around (about $2.50 - $3.00) and is available in almost every coffee shop up to 10 or 11 a.m. Many offer 3 set options, but the basic set is generally what I described above. Larger, marginally more expensive sets, might include a salad (popular for breakfast here) or small, hotdog-like sausages.

Today, I had to come into work at 11 a.m. and was early, so I had a morning set at the coffee shop in my station. I don't usually have them since I got married almost 19 years ago, and it always feels nostalgic when I do. Again, if you ever visit Japan, I recommend this as a reasonable breakfast option.

No comments: