Thursday, December 22, 2005

White Christmas?

iPod morning commute music: Janis Joplin, Janis, disc 2 (1993)

Janis Joplin was hands-down the best white woman blues singer of all time. As I stepped onto the train and out of the snowstorm this morning, I wanted something warm to listen to. I got Janis' rendition of Summertime without even thinking about it. This 3-disc box is a great overview of her career which ended far too soon (Janis was 1 of 3 rockers to die between 1970-71, all at the age of 27, the others being Jimi Hendrix and Jim Morrison). I'll always be willing to take a little piece of her heart.

As mentioned above, I awoke to a) a blizzard, and b) three teenaged boys playing cards at our diningroom table having stayed up all night jamming on guitars. I left 5 minutes early, but traffic was crawling and I missed my usual train by a couple of minutes, which means I was marginally late for work, Closing Ceremony for the end of second term (see yesterday's blog for an overview of Japanese ceremonies). This is officially my last day until January 6th (teachers' meeting), with 3rd term's Opening Ceremonies on the following day.

Today, my co-worker Bob and I are planning to go to lunch with my mentor, Evelyn, the Anglican missionary who hired me 21 years ago. Evelyn retired 3 years ago to York, where I visited with her 2 Christmases ago on a school trip to England. This is her first visit back to Japan since retirement. We had a short visit after the Christmas Service on Tuesday, but it will be good to spend more time with her later today.

I talked to my wife a bit ago, and she reports blizzard conditions. We may get our first White Christmas in over 10 years.

No comments: