Monday, October 24, 2005

Another Monday

iPod morning commute music: The Go Betweens: 1978-1990 (disc 1)
A great band almost no one has heard of. The came from Brisbane, Australia, but moved to London to make their claim to fame. After 10 years of critically acclaimed records and almost no sales, they broke up. At the turn of the century they got back together again and have made 3 records. This is obviously an anthology and a great place to start (if you can find it; the 2-disc version was available in only Australia and Japan, I believe).

It was a good weekend, capped by Kaoru and I going to my friend Dave's house for a late lunch. We met his daughter from his first marriage, Kana, and her boyfriend, Chris. Really nice people, and it was a fun visit. I'll be seeing them again tonight for the Democrats Abroad Japan-Kansai Movie Nite. Tonight's film is something called The Atomic Cafe (I think), which is a look back over the atomic age. I am old enough to remember having to duck under desks in elementary school during Air Raids.

The White Sox are up 2 games to none in the World Serious. I could watch the first game, which started yesterday at 8:30 am Japan time. During the game I called my brother in the States. It's always fun to chat while watching the same game in real time. At one point between innings, the Japan station was showing vintage footage of the 1917 Series, with Shoeless Joe Jackson. I asked Mark if he was seeing it and he said no, he was seeing a razor blade commericial equating the blade with fast cars and beautiful women. I'll take the commercial-free NHK replays of highlights any day over commercials!

No comments: