Thursday, October 27, 2005

Poem #1

iPod morning commute music: Warren Zevon, I'll Sleep When I'm Dead (an Anthology)Disc 1 (1996)
When Warren Zevon died two years ago, the world lost one of the great bent geniuses in music. He was even a favorite shooting partner (guns, guns!) of Hunter S. Thompson. This two disc anthology captures the high points of his career. He will be missed.

Poem #1

sometimes
to talk to them
is like talking to memories
scratched records repeating
scratched records

how my father found
a yellowed novel
left behind when I left for good
and he wondered where'd it come from
as he read it to my mother

my brother looks in on them now
catching the ferry to the island
the tang of salt in the drizzled air
he goes to chop iron madrona
for their winter fires

I make my weekly call
Sunday morning my time
Saturday night for them
and Dad tells me how he read to Mom
from a novel he'd never seen before

No comments: