Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Thanks for the feedback

iPod morning commute music: The Kinks, Ultimate Collection
One of the advantages of living in Japan is having access to CD's imported from Europe and Australia as well as from the US. This is a European greatest hits, which starts with the earliest '60s hits (You Really Got Me) and follows through the '70s. It's chronological and long for a single disc compilation. I don't usually finish the whole disc in a single listening, and would recommend their '60s classic albums Face to Face and Something Else by the Kinks over this, or any, compilation.

I've started getting some feedback from people (in e-mail, which is great) about the blog and about blogging in general. Thanks. Someone asked if the comments would be for my eyes only: No, they'll be for everyone, so again, first names only, please. I want to ensure everyone's privacy. If you want to reply to me privately, use e-mail (and for those who don't know me but are reading this, sorry, you'll only be able to post comments as I'm keeping my e-mail address off the blog). Another friend told me not to worry about posting daily, but to follow my muse. Good point. As she said, we can't force creativity. I will follow her advice, and not post when I have nothing to say. A third friend advised me not to give out so much personal information in my profile due to the problem of identity theft. Sadly, he's right, so I have changed my bio, though the site hasn't updated it yet (his other point was that most of the people who would read this already know that info anyway; no reason to give it out again). This issue of identity theft is one I hadn't considered before (who the hell would want to be ME?), but in this day and age it is important. Maybe we all want to consider what personal info we've given web sites that allow public access (classmates.com jumps to my mind).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great stuff - unlike a would-be-blogger some years ago we don't have unasked for ramblings in our inboxes and don't have our email address displayed to the world.
I do not wish to be be a blogger myself, so Irequest a resurrection of "You know you've been in Japan too long ...."

craiginjapan said...

Thanks, I'm glad you approve. My favorite along your line of thought went as follows: You know you haven't been in Japan very long when you're in the front of the train line and you can't get a seat. You know you've been in Japan too long when your at the end of the train line and you always get a seat. Cheers!