Thursday, October 20, 2005

Rembering Bob K.

iPod morning commute music: Paul McCartney, Chaos and Creation in the Backyard
This is a quiet, reflective album with no filler, unique for a McCartney effort, but consistent with his best creative period in years starting with Flaming Pie, Run Devil Run (a rock 'n' roller recorded just after Linda died) and Driving Rain (recorded after getting together with his second wife, Heather). Produced by Nigel Godrich (of Radiohead fame), it has a mood of its own, unlike any other McCartney album I can think of. Sir Paul played most of the instruments himself, but this is no Ram. I'm sure it will be underappreciated for years to come. Well worth owning.

The last time I saw McCartney was on his Back in the World tour (which followed his Back in the US tour). It was great for Beatles fans. George Harrison had recently passed away, and Paul dedicated songs to both him and John.

My late friend Bob K. scored us tickets (I'm guessing his wife, Naoko, helped). Little did we know that in less than 2 years, Bob would be dead from liver cancer. He died on September 25, 2004, just about 4 weeks after the diagnosis was made. He had just turned 39, and was survived by his wife and small daughter. Kaoru and I were able to see him 3 times in the hospital, once every week. The last time he asked us not to come back. Less than a week later he was gone.

At the JALT conference, I ran into one of his friends whom I met at his funeral, and we are hoping to get together with some of his other foreign friends. Bob was a great guy, and he will be missed. In watching him die, helping him through it, Bob taught me a lot about myself. He helped make me a better person. He was a teacher to the end.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Craig.
Thanks for remembering Bob. It's nice to know that some of his friends still talk about him, and miss him.
I sometimes listen to musuc Bob used to like. Classical music always remind me my pregnancy time. He believed that would be good for our baby. Other music also brig me back to our sweet memories.
Yes, I did help him to get tickets of McCartney concert. We went to family mart together.

craiginjapan said...

Hi Naoko-

Bob was a friend, and as a friend he will always be remembered. Craig