Friday, March 31, 2006

God, I Hate Cleaning

iPod morning commute music: N/A

I did pick up The Byrds: Untitled/Unreleased (1970). Actually, it was just "Untitled" back then; the "Unreleased" is a bonus disc of, you guessed it, unreleased material. The original release was a double album, with the first record live recordings, and the second record studio stuff. Only Roger McGuinn remains from the founding members, but the rest of the band is very good, particularly Clarence White on lead guitar. The live stuff is, for the most part, classic Byrds, and therefore suffers without the vocals of Gene Clark and David Crosby, but the 15 minute version of Eight Miles High is pretty cool, though the extended bass/drum duet in the middle wore on me a bit. I haven't heard the unreleased disc yet. Maybe tomorrow as we head to the in-laws.

On Sunday, students and teachers from our sister school in England arrive for a two-week stay. I spent today cleaning out the study so the teacher I'm hosting has a room to himself. We have a futon couch in the living room, but I just assume he would rather have the privacy of the study, which doubles as our junk room. The junk now moves up to the bedroom. Cleaning is finished except for vacuuming. God, I hate cleaning.

The worst news finally arrived concerning my son and university: he isn't classified as a Washington State resident, which means no matter where he would go to university in the States, he would be considered a non-resident. And since he went to an international school in Japan, which is not recognized by the Japanese government, he would be considered an international student in Japan, not a Japanese student. It looks like he'll be taking a year off to work in the States and gain residency.

Finally, I have been appointed national co-chair for voter registration for Democrats Abroad Japan. We're hoping to register 12,000 Democrats to vote in this year's election.

No comments: