Saturday, March 18, 2006

A Rare Saturday Post

iPod morning commute music: The Byrds Box Set, disc 1 (1990)

The Byrds were one of the great bands to come out of the '60s, and this 4-disc box set is probably the best way to hear them (though 1968's Sweetheart of the Rodeo should be in any comprehensive rock collection). Folk, folk rock, rock 'n' roll, psychedelic rock, country rock: The Byrds touched on all of these genres. A great box set.

It has been a tough week, full of meetings and tension. On Thursday I was able to stay home, but my Internet provider was down, which meant my phone wasn't working either. I wanted to call my brother to talk over some family problems, but couldn't. In the end, I watched Japan lose to South Korea in the international baseball series being held right now. I thought Japan was out, but then Mexico beat the USA team (of All Stars!) to allow Japan to slip in through the back door. My family was pleased, and frankly I didn't mind too much. I think the Americans assumed they would win, so maybe it's a good thing to be humbled.

Last night, the English Department at my school had a farewell dinner for a teacher who is retiring. It's the first time in three years for us to all go out together. We went to a restaurant where we had a farewell dinner back in 1990, an infamous affair due to food poisoning, which everyone who ate the raw oysters came down with. It was strange to realize that only a handful of us there last night were at the 1990 dinner; so many have retired in the last 16 years. I am now the second oldest teacher in the department!

One final note: my 3-year contract expires this year, and I was just told today that my new contract, which I will sign on Monday, will be permanent. Nothing really changes, but it will be nice never having to renew the contract again. Now if I can just figure out how to get them to include a clause giving me Saturdays off....

No comments: