Tuesday, November 08, 2005

All Dressed Up

iPod morning commute music: Television, Marquee Moon (1977)
Okay, out of soul and into, what, punk, post-punk, garage rock, guitar rock? All of the above: This is just one of the all-time coolest guitar albums ever recorded. There is not a bad song on the album, though the title track is the one that sticks with you forever. Tom Verlaine's masterpiece, but it is a band effort, in particular (for me) Richard Lloyd's interplay with Verlaine, two great guitarists at their peak.

I put on a tie and jacket for work today, the second time this term. We don't really have a dress code for teachers at my school, which I like a lot. I just can't wear suits, ties, etc. when it's hot and humid, so usually in warm weather it's slacks and polo shirts. When it gets real cold, I'll switch to slacks and sweaters, but right now, it's perfect slacks/jacket/tie weather. We get 2-4 weeks of this in the fall, and the same in the spring. Of course, I'm getting all sorts of sarcastic comments for looking good, but those will stop in a couple of days.

I found out that one of the initiatives in Seattle, 901, has support from the democrat's and MoveOn.org. It's the ban on smoking in all public buildings and transport, including a ban on smoking within 25 feet of any entrance or ventilation system. I voted against this initiative, despite the fact that I'm a reformed smoker and hate smoke in restaurants and bars. It just seems like an unenforceable law, and unfair to those poor souls who are still hooked on the evil weed. Predictions are that it will pass with flying colors. We will see.

Finally, for my friends in the States, PLEASE take the time to vote on Tuesday. You really can make a difference.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not so sure about 901, Craig. Washington's illegitimate child (all area east of the Cascade Mountain Range) is strongly against the initiative, even nonsmokers. Personally, as someone who has allergies to smoke, I hope it will pass. It seems to me that people in Eastern Washington simply have not heard that not only is smoking bad for them, personally, but that secondhand smoke is also bad. I sometimes get library books back from kids that are so permeated with smoke that it takes months for them to air out. The fumes are so noxious that I can tell simply by picking up the book that it went into a home with heavy smokers. I feel very sorry for the kids having to live in that environment. Many of them have allergies and asthma which is made all the worse by people smoking around them.

I'm all for personal choice and freedom, but I prefer people to indulge in vices that may have personal consequences, but not affect those around them quite so much. Heaven knows, I would probably feel as disenfranchised, if I was forbidden to eat M&M's. Of course, I might add that hubby and I have been on the South Beach diet since Labor Day, and so, mostly, M&M's have been off my list. Have lost about 16 lbs. Drop in the bucket, but one has to start somewhere. On the real plus side, the diet, after the first two weeks, is much less like a diet than any I've ever been on. Believe me: I'm an absolute pro at diets...also a pro at ENDING diets, but this one is more like injecting much more healthy eating and not a "diet" to use and then stop. It's even helped my RA, probably because we've been eating fish much more often.

Well, off on a tangent, again, I see, but I confess, it's fun to chat with you on your blog.

S--

craiginjapan said...

Susan, 16 lbs. is no small thing! I agree, the South Beach Diet seems healthier. I've just found I can't agree with any of these diets, so I'm about 3 weeks into the Craig in Japan Diet. Give me a couple of more weeks and I will let you know how it's going, but thus far it seems to be about as effective as any other diet I've been on. Anyway, keep up the good work.

C

Anonymous said...

Whatever works for you. As I said, I've tried them all, it seems. This is working because both Ken and I are invested in it. We've both noticed clothes becoming looser. We know that we will probably be less inclined to be strict during the holidays. I absolutely refuse to substitute mashed cauliflower for pototoes at Thanksgiving. However, I figure if we are careful, but not anal during the Thanksgiving through Christmas phase, we can pick up phase one again the first of the year and then get back to the more normal phase two.

You must have to adjust any diet to what is commonly available in Japan. You probably have far greater variety in seafood than what I have in Eastern WA, but I imagine I have a greater variety of fresh produce even in the off season here. Baked apples with a little cinamon are rather good. If they need sweetening, a little splenda works great.

S