Monday, November 07, 2005

Monday before Elections

iPod morning commute music: Dusty Springfield, Dusty in Memphis (1969)
I have gotten into a soul music phase; it was an Al Green anthology that I listened to on Friday, but failed to post. Today it was Dusty. I remember when the song from this album, Son of Preacher Man, came out. I was in the 9th grade, and was tormented by a guy named Dave S. (no last names, but for those in the know, he was a year younger than me and grew up to be a Washington State Trooper) who would follow behind me in the halls singing the chorus. These days, I call it my theme song! A great, classic soul album.

It was a busy weekend, getting my flu shot and dental work, trying to scope out university applications and financial aid requests with my son, and attempting to wade through the initiatives in the Washington State election. The latter was actually fun, because I got to talk to a variety of family and friends to get advice. Sometimes, Americans in Japan, myself included, feel like we shouldn't vote in local and state elections as we're too uninformed on these issues (unlike the presidential election, which gets great coverage even in Japan). However, what I discovered yesterday is that the way I was investigating the issues is basically the same way voting Americans in the States investigate the issues: read the voters' guide, check out newspaper and special interest endorsements, talk to friends. In the end, the only votes I placed with hesitation were local school board positions as I only had the voters' guide to go on. I do feel good about going through the process of voting, especially talking over the issues on the phone. I just wished more Americans at home would make the effort to understand the issues and take the time to vote. If they had done that a year ago, I believe we wouldn't be in the same position as we are today.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I missed your posts over the last few days, so if you wonder if anyone is even reading them, be assured that I check the link everyday to see what's going on with you in Japan.

You're absolutely right about the confusion over the recent WA state ballot initiatives. I have mixed feelings about all of them except for the malpractice insurance ones. In that case, I think it's simple to assume that neither the doctors nor the lawyers have the best interests of patients at heart. But that's sort of beside the point.

I could go on and on about the Gas tax initiative, as well. On one hand, I strongly support having better roads. On the other hand, I'm blankety sick of the people in the sound area refusing to address the problem of reasonable rapid transit. After living in PDX with it's very user friendly light rail system, I can't understand why Seattle, Tacoma, and Olympia folks won't do something similar. Even Vancouver folks voted down a measure to extend light rail across the river to help the bottlenecks on the bridges. A small carrot was thrown to the folks in Eastern Washington--some fixed to roads around Spokane, the bridge in the Tri-Cities, and the worst portion of the road on the way to Walla Walla. However, the road between Pasco and Walla is one of the worst in the state, but is also heavily traveled, especially by trucks. It's needed to be 4 lanes for at least 40 years, but only about 5 miles of the problem is being addressed. It leaves me in a quandary, to be honest.

Have a good week, Craig. I get Friday off in honor of Veteran's Day. Can't wait!

S--

craiginjapan said...

Well, I'm glad someone is reading them! I just hope I can give you and everyone else something interesting to read. I've decided that I can't post every day, so I'm purposely taking most weekends and holidays off. That explains no posts on Thursday, Saturday and Sunday. Friday I was just too busy at work and didn't get around to it in the evening.

Trust me, I can't understand why the sound area doesn't solve the problem of rapid transit either! Having left the Seattle area for Japan in late 1983, I have only been able to watch in horror as traffic problems there just grow and grow. And the solutions they came up with...BUS TUNNELS! I literally won't drive in downtown Seattle anymore.

As everyone knows, Japan has a pretty wonderful train system (when they aren't jumping the tracks), which I use every day that I commute. Light rail would be a good solution.

You are also right in identifying one of the awful truths about Washington State politics: The western part of the state carries so much weight, the eastern part often feels ignored in state politics, particularly initiatives. I see no easy answers for that one.

Anyway, thanks for reading. I assume others are peaking in once in a while as well. And I hope all my friends and family have a great Veteran's Day holiday on Friday.

C.