Thursday, November 24, 2005

Off to Tokyo

iPod morning commute music: Spirit, Twelve Dreams of Dr. Sardonicus (1970)

Spirit was a cool band, and Randy California a great guitarist/singer/songwriter. This is my favorite album by them, their last with the original band members. It holds up surprisingly well, with an early green theme running through a couple of the songs (Nature's Way, Animal Zoo). We lost California in 1997, when he drowned while rescuing (successfully) his 12-year-old son.

I'm off to Tokyo with my student for 4 days, so this will be my last post until I return on the 27th. Today, it's just checking into our hotels (the students stay together in a Japanese-style inn, where they are taken great care of by a university student organization; I'm in a business hotel). Tomorrow, her contest begins at 9 a.m. If she places, she'll advance to the final contest, held on Saturday afternoon. A huge reception follows, ending at 7 p.m. We'll stay one last night, and head home Sunday morning.

I'm fortunate in that I'll be able to meet an old friend, Brad, for dinner on Friday. Another friend, Ian from Kyoto, will also be in Tokyo, so we'll try to get together on Saturday after the reception. All of this sure beats sitting around in my hotel room watching Japanese TV.

For those of you in the States, again, have a happy Thanksgiving.

No comments: