Monday, May 15, 2006

90th Post

iPod morning commute music: Paul Simon, Surprise (May 9th, 2006)

This CD has knocked me for a loop. My brother put things in sarcastic perspective: "What a surprise. Paul Simon made a great album." True, he's made great albums throughout his career, but this just feels braver. Having Brian Eno add what the album refers to as "Sonic Landscapes", Simon seems to be taking a huge risk, but it all works so well! I can't seem to get enough of this disc. Beautiful, moving music.

I hope all of you mothers out there had a great Mother's Day. Kaoru has to wait till next weekend for her special dinner (the request was tandoori chicken), as I had a Democrats Abroad Japan-Kansai meeting last night in Umeda. The meeting was held in the Blarney Stone Pub, and went well. It looks like the place we'll be meeting in the future.

Oh, our cat is OK. She was actually in my son's room, sleeping in an opened drawer, unnoticed. Everyone is relieved.

Slowly I've been contacting people about my Seattle visit. I called my folks on Saturday (Japan time) to let them know. They were happy. I'm glad that everything worked out the way it did.

Finally, this is my 90th post. Not one of my better ones, but hey, it's a Monday! What can anyone expect?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad you can get away from the yukky summer here Craig to more clement climes and glad the cat turned up. Nothing worse than a cat that wont trun up. Well maybe thousands of things worse but you know what I mean. As soon as you mentioned Badfinger in the previous post the lines 'if you want it here it is come and get it' shot to mind. The potency of memory and music. It was featured in the Magic Christian wasnt it, either your favourite film in the world or your worst. One of them type of films. Me I couldnt make head nor tail of it but it did have Peter Sellers in it and Ringo. Did you see that John Lennon film shown by NHK over Golden Week? there were tons of interviews that id never seen before, good one in the Amsterdam Hilton where they invited some unsympathetic journalist in and Lennons PR lost it and told the guy to leave. Seemed like another age. Which I guess it was. Good luck with the Democrats abroad thing. Begon Smirking Chimp!