Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Tatsu's Last Test

iPod morning commute music: Essra Mohawk, You're Not Alone (2003)

What, you don't know Essra Mohawk? Neither did I, but she's been writing, singing and recording since 1964. She was Uncle Meat in Frank Zappa's Mothers of Invention (all this info is courtesy of allmusic.com). I'm not sure where I first heard of her, but I hit Tower Records looking for Primordial Lovers, recorded in 1969 and named as one of the top 25 albums of all time by Rolling Stone. What, you never heard of it? Neither had I, and Tower didn't have it in stock, but they did have this, her latest release. Pretty cool stuff, bluesy, reminds me of Bonnie Raitt a little. Her voice is excellent, though some of her lyrics grate on me a bit. Great guitar work throughout. Recommended, and it's always cool to have someone in your collection no one has ever heard of!

Today my son takes his last IB exam, in Japanese. This means he is essentially finished with school. Graduation is June 16th, but he has no classes between now and then. He will be going to Thailand at the end of next week on the Senior Trip, but basically, he's finished. Hard to believe.

I been over this theme before, and recently, but it is weird to feel something you know all caring, loving parents must feel at this stage in their child's life, when he is quickly leaving childhood: Helpless. I remember when I was his age and I thought I was so goddamn smart and my parents so goddamn stupid. I wish I could get Tatsu to understand how (mostly) wrong I was.

But it can't be helped. Hopefully, Tatsu's armed with the social and educational skills to go forth and succeed. I guess the final task of parenthood is letting go, and I'm sure I'm not the first parent to discover this.

His last test started at 11:00, and it's just after noon now. He's spent 13 years at the same international school, K-12. His life is just getting started. Godspeed.

No comments: