Friday, May 26, 2006

Friday and the Dentist

iPod morning commute music: The Grateful Dead, Live/Dead, 1969

I was never much of a Deadhead. I got into their music when I was a student in the early '70s at The Evergreen State College in Olympia, WA (the place says a lot about why I would get into the Dead at that time). I saw them live once, at the Paramount Theater in Seattle, and it wasn't one of my most memorable concerts. But even for a quasi-Deadhead, once a Deadhead, always a Deadhead, and I certainly own a lot of their music, both albums and a box set. This still remains, with Workingman's Dead and American Beauty, (OK, and Dick's Picks, Vol. 4) one of my favorites. It was their first live album, and it still sounds great...er, grate...er...Grateful Dead.

Not much to write about today. Just a couple of observations. First, I have a dentist appointment today, the old routine checkup, only this guy wants to schedule them once every four months, not six like I grew up with in the USA. I don't really mind, as this is a vast improvement over most Japanese dentists ("Come in again when you have a problem.") and he actually does clean the teeth. Still, I wonder if this is the new norm, or just a way to get extra money out of me.

Finally, several months ago I posted about single spacing versus double spacing following the end of sentences. I want everyone to know, especially Ron, that I have pretty much mastered the art of single spacing. I've adapted to the computer age. Applause, please.

Tomorrow I have to come in to proctor one last mid-term test. Sigh...I hate coming in early on Saturdays. Actually, I hate coming in anytime on Saturdays, but this is Japan. 'Nuff said, to quote Stan Lee.

No comments: