Friday, May 12, 2006

Good news

iPod morning commute music: Badfinger, The Very Best of Badfinger (2000)

Why is it that Badfinger always sounds good? This greatest hits is a good compilation, covering both their Apple recordings and their later albums. Of course, their story is one of tragedy (two band members committed suicide), but their music is still great. Of course, their two classic albums No Dice (1970) and Straight Up (1971) are essential recordings, but this disc is thoroughly enjoyable.

The good news is that it looks like I'll be getting back to the States this summer even though the Canadian business trip fell through. I really think I need the break. My parents are getting older (both turn 80 this year), and the thought of staying in Japan for 6 weeks alone (the wife and kids will be stateside from July 4) just wasn't appealing. Fortunately, the school was generous and gave me permission to leave on the 22nd (I was told originally that I had to stay through the end of July), so I'll get in just over 3 weeks. I'll call my folks this Sunday (Saturday in the States) to let them know.

Maybe some bad news: our cat didn't come in last night, and wasn't to be seen this morning. Very unusual behavior on her part, and it has me concerned. Hopefully, she'll show up later today.

Back to work.

No comments: