Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Breaking Down on Tuesday

iPod morning commute music: Elliott Smith; XO (1998)

Lyrics have always been important to me, hence my love of Bob Dylan's music (most of it, anyway: I still can't stand Man Gave Names to All the Animals!). Elliott Smith wrote (he committed suicide in 2003) some of the most depressing but literate lyrics dressed up in some of the most lovely melodies on record. This is the only album I own by him, and I really should buy some others. Beautiful music from an obviously tortured man.

I feel like my body is breaking down today. News from the dentist last night was not good, and today I'm having a problem with my eye, either something in it or the beginning of a stye. The weather doesn't help, very hot and humid today.

I'm also beginning to go into my I'm-going-to-get-depressed-because-my-family-is-going-to-the-States-and-leaving-me-behind mode. This is, of course, total BS; they go early because it saves us money and they can spend more time in the States than I can. I think part of it is I hate having to totally fend for myself. I love it that Kaoru gets up with me in the morning (at 5!), and makes my breakfast and lunch for me while I shower, shave and get dressed. I hate having to get up earlier to do all this myself. Ditto for dinner: I usually get home at 7:30, and it's nice that dinner is waiting for me.

That said, we've been doing this for years, ever since the kids have been in school. I always manage, though my dinners do suffer. I just eat cereal for breakfast, buy a sandwich for lunch, and make fast food options (we don't have American-style TV dinners in Japan, but some things come close)for dinner. In reality, I survive. It just isn't something I look forward to.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Craig, anonymous Gib here. Sorry to hear about the trials and tribulations of the frame. Eyes and mouth, nasty stuff. Hope the wonders of modern medicine and the power of the wallet see you through. Spent a happy hour in Tower Records in Kyoto on Monday compiling a wish list of cds I would buy if ever the boat came in. Chanced on Volunteers by the Airplane, Wooden Ships was always a favourite plus the title track which sounded so revolutionary to a young 16 year old Gib back in the day. Moreover Shock Horror! they used the MF word which was extremely radical and still brings a thrill. Did exactly the same as you with the Japan Brazil game. Had good intentions to leap joyously from bed at four but then thought sod it and crawled out half dead an hour or so later and caught the second half to watch the Samurai Blues get flattened. Pleased that England are still squeaking by but to be honest, looking at the opposition, Brazil France Portugal Germany - nation crushing teams all so cant see England doing much more. Good though to see the English fans keeping up the olde worlde traditions of hooliganism though, makes one proud to be English ho ho. Keep it up boys, God bless you, England expects that every man will behave like an idiot abroad. Get well soon Craig.