Monday, June 05, 2006

Finally Saw a Movie...

iPod morning commute music: Nick Lowe, Labour of Lust (1979)

Nick Lowe has long been a favorite of mine, first and foremost for the single Cruel to be Kind off of this album. My brother, Mark, used to play a lot of Lowe's stuff from this album, his first solo album Jesus of Cool (1978) and Seconds of Pleasure (1980), the lone album by Lowe's band, with Dave Edmunds, Rockpile. All three are great discs. Later, I went back to Lowe's days with Brinsley Schwarz, one of the classic British pub rock bands. Lowe also had some claim to fame as a producer, particularly with Elvis Costello's early albums. I saw him with Elvis once in Kyoto, Japan, a weird concert, just the two of them on guitars (I believe it was billed as Elvis Costello, Almost Alone)in the mid '80s. A fun artist, quirky, and a fun album.

It was a strange weekend. Friday was a holiday, so I hit Costco and bought meat for the barbecue, came home, did some yard work, and barbecued. Saturday I had to come into work and teach an open lesson for elementary school girls, mainly grade 6, who are interested in attending our school and their parents. It went off OK. Then on Sunday I finally got my wife to go see a film with me. The Constant Gardener finally made it to Japanese screens, and finishes its run tomorrow. I've been wanting to see it since it first was released in the west. I'm glad I finally got the chance. A very fine film.

No comments: