Friday, June 09, 2006

Finally Friday

iPod morning commute music: Solomon Burke, The Very Best of Solomon Burke (1998)

I picked up this excellent greatest hits CD several years ago when I was in one of my soul music phases. I'd never heard of Burke before, but I read something somewhere and began to research his music for a good first purchase, which turned out to be this. It is superb, but you have to like classic soul. There is very little pop/rock crossover appeal here. Burke's voice is wonderful, the songs are cool, and he's another great singer most people have never heard of. Well worth having.

It is finally Friday, and I've decided to take tomorrow off, so it's a big 2-day weekend for me!

Now, not to sound sexist, but the following has to be a woman's thing. Tomorrow, my wife is going to drive 2 hours to go to a beauty parlor near her parents' house. She refuses to get her hair cut anywhere else. 2 hours there, then 2 hours back. For a haircut. I know of no guys who would do this. Me, I either go to the closest place, or the cheapest, as long as it's not out of my way. Anyway, I don't want to sound critical, but considering the price of the highway tickets, gas, etc....oops, I'm beginning to sound critical.

On Sunday, Kaoru, Alisa and I will go to a farewell party at the Hard Rock Cafe for one of Alisa's classmates, Jonathan, who's been at the school with her since kindergarten. We're not particularly close family friends (we simply live too far away from each other), but we do know the family and want to attend. It's always hard to say goodbye to the only school you've known, so I'm sure it will be tough on Jonathan and his mom.

After the party (from 2:00-4:00) I have to head over to the Blarney Stone for a Democrats Abroad Japan-Kansai general meeting which starts from 5:00 (the officers/activists meeting begins at 3:30, but I'll miss most of that), so Sunday will be a busy day.

Have a good weekend, everyone.

No comments: