Monday, June 26, 2006

One of those Weekends

iPod morning commute music: Jefferson Airplane/Jefferson Starship/Starship, Hits, disc 1 (1998)

Jefferson Airplane was a favorite of mine in high school. In fact, when my good buddy John B. and I were in Radio Production Class in our junior year, we actually produced a radio show about the band which was broadcast over our local station KXLE. We were really pleased because we managed to get the song Volunteers aired over that conservative station even though it contained the word "fuck" in its lyrics. Yes, we were radicals back in those days!

This double CD collects the greatest hits from all three incarnations of the band, with disc 1 covering the Airplane proper. It's great stuff, and this is probably the best introduction to a great band. I also own their box set, Jefferson Airplane Loves You (1992) which is recommended if you are already a fan.

I just came out of a very busy weekend. Saturday, I had to come in to work for an International Studies Committee meeting, after which I met Tatsu and Kaoru in Umeda to buy Tatsu's graduation present, a new MacBook computer. We got him the white 2.0GHz with a 13" screen and the Superdrive, upgraded to 2GB SODIMMS memory. This is not just a gift from us, but from my parents, my brother, and anyone else who wants to chip in! It is a really nice computer, and Tatsu's thrilled with it.

We then went to a farewell party for our good friends Maria and Andreas G. and their two daughters who are the same age as Tatsu and Alisa. It was a street party in the neighborhood next to the International School where so many of the families who are sent abroad live in huge, American-style houses. It was a great party, and it honestly felt like we were in America! Alisa was at another farewell party for a classmate, but it finished early and she was able to join us. I only wish that we lived closer to the school and could have attended more functions like it.

On a bad note, I have an infection in my mouth, an old tooth (capped) that probably cracked. I had to go in for emergency dental work yesterday (Sunday) morning, and have to go back this evening at 6:30. God knows how many times I'll have to go to get this problem fixed. I just want to finish up before heading to the States on the 22nd.

Finally, this is our last week of classes before final exams begin next Monday. I just want to get this term over with, and get back to Seattle for a little R & R.

No comments: