Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Walking Off the Bacon Cheeseburger

iPod morning commute music: Keren Ann, Not Going Anywhere (2003)

I bought this CD for my wife, who loves folk music and Suzanne Vega. Keren Ann grew up in France, and her first albums were in French. This was her first English album. It is soft, beautiful music; her voice is terrific. Much of the CD is acoustic and very understated folk. Perfect for background music with dinner, or a morning commute.

Yesterday, I was on my own for dinner, and copped to a Wendy's classic bacon cheeseburger set, with fries and a Diet Pepsi. It was great, my weekly taste of fast food. No beer or wine. I got home just as Kaoru and Alisa were arriving back from a party held for some visiting friends from Thailand.

At 9:30, Kaoru and I decided to go for our second evening walk in as many days. Our neighborhood is actually great for walking, quiet streets running up a hill. Yesterday, we walked to the top of the development, then back down side streets to our house, about 35 minutes in all (compared to 25 the day before). I have to admit I worked up a sweat, but we were walking at a moderate pace. It felt good.

When I weighed myself this morning I was pleased to not my first slight drop in a couple of weeks. Hopefully the walking will help. I know the bacon cheeseburgers won't, but the whole point of this diet is to eat what I want in moderation, and to limit alcohol to the weekends. So the burger is OK...once in a while. Especially if followed by a nice walk on a summer's evening.

No comments: